Maribyrnong & hobsons Bay Lead the way
A social inclusion project for the inner west
Network West has been funded by the West Gate Neighbourhood Fund to work with emerging community leaders and neighbourhood houses in Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay, to build a more inclusive community with the skills and confidence to act on important issues.
This is a project about amplifying the voices of emerging leaders from diverse communities and making sure we can all engage more readily with one another, not just with those who are the most visible or the closest.
Network West is collaborating with some amazing partners to deliver a suite of programs and networking opportunities to build community resilience. These include Hot House Community Projects, The Avaivilla Group, Track C Consulting, and Jeder Institute. We will also work closely with Hobsons Bay and Maribyrnong City Council's to build community capacity around issues such as community connection, climate justice, cultural safety and inclusion for all.
masterclass: participatory community building
Network West and Hot House Community Projects is bringing you an incredible FREE learning opportunity facilitated by Jeder Institute.
- You will learn how to weave, embed and sustain Asset Based Community-led Development (ABCD) and other strength based participatory practices through co-design and collaboration.
- We will show you how to move from dialogue to action and how to discover ways to address complex challenges via innovative solutions.
- This is an opportunity to learn and share in new ways of working to co-create action in our communities.
PROGRAM 1 will be delivered in two face to face sessions at Yarraville Community Centre:
- Tuesday 2nd August 2022, 9:00am-4.30pm
- Wednesday 3rd August 2022, 9:00am-4.30pm
- Register here to attend these dates (PROGRAM 1)
PROGRAM 2 will be Program 2 will be delivered in 4 sessions both online and face to face:
- Saturday 27 August, 9:30am-4:30pm at South Kingsville Community Centre
- Tuesday 30 August, 6.30 – 9pm on Zoom
- Tuesday 6 September, 6.30 – 9pm on Zoom
- Tuesday 13 September 6.30 – 9pm on Zoom
- Register here to attend these dates (PROGRAM 2)
first nations knowledge building
community connector Program 2022
Over the past month, community members and people connected to neighbourhood houses have been participating in a First Nations Knowledge Building program with Senior Wurundjeri Elder Aunty Diane Kerr OAM and The Avaivilla Group founder Terori Hareko-Avaivilla. As a result of new learnings, participants will now plan and implement First Nations Solidarity actions within their own communities.
“Building cultural knowledge and cultural safety goes both ways. This program is about supporting allies to have the courage to step into the space and initiate conversations. It’s about ensuring our non-First Nations brothers and sisters have the courage to stand up and stand with First Nations people by challenging systems and talking about some uncomfortable truths.” – Program facilitator, Terori Hareko-Availvilla
Develop and strengthen your knowledge and confidence to create meaningful local connections, contribute to building an inclusive community, and make a difference on community issues that are important to you.
If you are someone who lives, works, studies, volunteers, or has a strong connection to Maribyrnong or Hobsons Bay, you are invited to this Community Leadership program that will be delivered throughout August and November 2022.
There is no cost, as places are fully funded by the West Gate Neighbourhood Fund. However places are limited, so you will need to submit an Expression of Interest before July 10th.
Scan the QR code to complete and submit your expression of interest for the Community Connector Program